1. Home
  2. /
  3. Transport & logistics
  4. /
  5. New Brexit Rules: What...

New Brexit Rules: What Actions Do Hauliers Need To Take

Jan 27, 2021

The Brexit deal was finally agreed on the 24th December, with the new rules and regulations coming into force from the 1st January. And whilst it feels as if the deal has been somewhat overshadowed by the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, businesses need to be aware of and equipped to follow the new rules which the deal brings with it.

How will the Brexit rules impact hauliers?

Given that new trade rules are included in the deal, hauliers and those businesses carrying out international road haulage will be impacted by the new rules.

The key change that hauliers need to be aware of when it comes to trade with the EU is that there will be some new checks introduced at borders, such as product safety checks and customs declarations. And as a result, there will be new procedures to follow and additional paperwork that drivers will need to complete before crossing borders.

There is also likely to be a knock-on impact on UK based operators who may feel the effects of supply chain issues.

What changes related to the new Brexit rules do hauliers need to prepare for?

Some of the rule’s hauliers need to be prepared for before attempting to travel to the EU post Brexit include:

You can make use of the Brexit checker tool to find out exactly what actions your business needs to take.

Kent Access Permit

A Kent Access Permit (KAP) helps determine that a driver/vehicle has the correct paperwork needed for EU import controls. The aim of the KAP is to help manage traffic by avoiding vehicles arriving without the correct paperwork. There is a potential fine of up to £300 for those entering Kent without a valid KAP.

Find out whether your drivers need a Kent Access Permit before they travel.

COVID-19 Testing

In addition to specific Brexit rules, any drivers wishing to cross the border into France must also currently have proof of a negative COVID-19 test. Drivers must have tested negative up to 72 hours before crossing the border.

Have the correct operator licences and permits

You will need to ensure that you have the correct operator licences and permits for the countries that you are travelling to or through. Check which licences and permits you need.

Register your vehicle trailers

Commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg must be registered when travelling to or through most EU countries. Ensure this is done before your driver travels.

Ensure drivers are eligible to drive abroad and have the right documents

 Drivers must have the right documentation when travelling to the EU. These include:

  • A valid driving licence (for the vehicle being driven)
  • Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
  • A valid passport – this must have at least 6 months left to run
  • Healthcare documents

Ensure drivers have the correct vehicle documents

The correct vehicle documents will also need to be carried when travelling to the EU.

This will include vehicle registration documents, trailer registration documents, GB stickers and likely a green card etc.

Operation Brock

Drivers must be prepared to follow the traffic management system known as Operation Brock if it is in use when they are travelling to the Port of Dover and Eurotunnel.

When Operation Brock is in use, drivers not following the signed routes can face up to a £300 fine.

It is also advisable to check if any traffic management plans are in place at other ports.

Inland Border Facilities (IBFs)

Operational from the 1st January, IBFs are sites where customs and document checks can take place away from port locations. There are a number of instances whereby hauliers and commercial vehicle drivers may need to attend one.

Advice on attending an IBF can be found here.

Refer to full guidance for hauliers and commercial drivers on transporting goods between Great Britain and the EU as of the 1st January

What impact are UK based operators facing?

We understand that not all hauliers will be crossing the border, with many operating only in the UK. But there are still impacts being felt across the industry and affecting supply chains.

Coupled with the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic which is leading to limitations on the numbers of people who are able to work in order to adhere to COVID secure workplace guidelines and the number of staff who are having to self-isolate due to contracting or being exposed to coronavirus itself. All of these factors are feeding through into supply chain disruption such as that highlighted by Ocado recently

Get in touch with us at Anthony Jones if you are reviewing your commercial vehicle insurance. Ultimately, vehicle, people and site safety should be at the top of any companies’ risk agenda and we are seeing this as an increasing focus from insurers in risk acceptance and pricing. We have a wealth of experience and expertise in this area – from haulage insurance to freight insurance, whether you have a fleet of vehicles or are an owner operator, we can help you with your risk management strategy and help you get the right insurance at the best possible price.Contact us on 020 8290 9099 or email us at commercial.motor@anthonyjones.com

Get a Quote

You can call us during normal office hours, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Outside of office hours you can either email us or leave an answerphone message and we promise to get back to you the next working day.

General enquiries:
020 8290 4560

Sign up for news

* indicates required