1. Home
  2. /
  3. Personal insurance
  4. /
  5. Do I Need Campervan...

Do I Need Campervan Insurance & What’s The Difference?

Mar 13, 2023

This is an essential introduction to campervan insurance; whether you need it and how is it different from standard van insurance?

Want to discuss your campervan insurance needs with an experienced expert? Our friendly team is always on-hand to find you exactly the cover you need at a price you can afford. Call us on 0208 290 9086 or email us at personal@anthonyjones.com.

Do I Need to Have Campervan Insurance?

Because campervans and motorhomes are vehicles, you are legally required to get adequate insurance cover before you hit the road. As a campervan or a motorhome is not a car, you cannot drive a campervan or a motorhome on a standard car insurance policy. A standard van insurance policy won’t give you the cover you need either.

So you need to consider getting specialist campervan insurance to cover your specific type of vehicle, and the way you’ll use it.

What’s The Difference Between Van insurance and Campervan Insurance?

Dedicated campervan insurance will give you specialist cover for the uses to which you put your vehicle, including cover for certain things that are unlikely to be included in a standard van insurance policy.

This might include:

  • Contents and personal effects cover, for the belongings and valuables you store in your campervan, such as TVs, microwaves, and accessories.
  • Overseas cover, as some campervan owners like to drive across the continent. This might include European breakdown cover.
  • Agreed-value cover, meaning your insurer will pay you a predefined amount in the event of a claim, beyond any other valuations. This might be useful if you’re driving a restored classic or vintage campervan.
  • Cover for gas canisters and heaters, and any accidents that might arise from them.

Is Campervan Insurance Cheaper than Van Insurance?

Van insurance policies might offer cover for business use, along with cover for tools stored in the van overnight. This can mean that van insurance policies can cost more than campervan policies – another reason why it’s important to get specialist insurance.

Campervan Classes: An Introduction

It might seem like an obvious question, but it’s important to understand the definition so that you know what type of insurance you need.

There are three classes of campervans in the UK:

  • Class A – Those huge luxurious American style “recreational vehicles” (RVs).
  • Class B – Campervans, including those which have been converted from panel vans either independently or professionally.
  • Class C – Motorhomes, bigger than a campervan but smaller than an RV. A common sight on British campsites.

Despite these classifications, the DVLA considers campervans and motorhomes to be the same thing, as they share certain features. These include indoor cooking, sleeping, and storage facilities, an awning bar, and a separate door to access the living area.

As a result, the DVLA uses the same term to refer to campervans and motorhomes: motor caravans.

Campervan Usage and Security Considerations

Most insurers will cover campervans for domestic or leisure use. They may set mileage limits as a result, on the assumption that you’ll only drive your campervan a few times a year. But some people use their campervans as their main mode of transport, and even for their commutes. If this is the case for you, make sure you tell your insurer in advance, to avoid any problems further down the line.

The biggest risk insurers will consider is the risk of theft. If you take steps to secure your caravan, you may be able to drive down the price of your policy. Adding alarms, wheel locks and dash cams could make a difference. So too could parking your campervan in a secure location out of season – a locked garage is better than the street outside your house, or your driveway.

Get Tailored Campervan Insurance For You

As campervans are essentially homes on wheels, many high street insurers may be unwilling to insure your campervan or motorhome. And if they do, they might offer you an off-the-shelf product that doesn’t quite meet your needs. It might set overly restrictive mileage limits, for example, or it might not cover you for general everyday driving.

So talk to us about your campervan insurance needs. Tell us everything about your vehicle, and about how you intend to use it, and we’ll work to find you cover that ticks all your boxes at a price you can afford. Call us on 0208 290 9086 or email us at personal@anthonyjones.com.


Get a Quote

You can call us during normal office hours, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Outside of office hours you can either email us or leave an answerphone message and we promise to get back to you the next working day.

General enquiries:
020 8290 4560

Sign up for news

* indicates required