1. Home
  2. /
  3. Transport & logistics
  4. /
  5. What is an HGV...

What is an HGV Class 1 Licence?

Jun 20, 2019

When it comes to the haulage industry there are a number of definitions that it is important to be aware of particularly if you are an HGV driver or are looking to become one. Equally, if you are a fleet manager it is important that you know that your drivers are correctly qualified.

One of the key areas that drivers and fleet managers need to consider is the type of licence that must be held to carry out certain roles. There are a number of categories which determine not only the type but also the weight of the vehicle that can be driven.

What is an HGV Class 1 Licence?

Also known as a Category CE licence, a Class 1 HGV licence is the licence required to allow you to drive the heaviest of HGV’s.

The gov.uk website states that the CE category licence can be used to drive vehicles over 3,500kg and with a trailer over 750kg.

There are no restrictions to the weight of vehicle you can drive – other licence categories limit you to driving vehicles up to 7,500kg. But this is not the case with the CE category licence.

Read more about the different licence categories on the gov.uk website here.

What are the requirements to get an HGV Class 1 Licence?

In order to obtain an HVG class 1 licence, there are a number of requirements:

• Must be at least 18 years old
• Already hold a full HGV class 2 licence (also known as a category C licence)
• Apply for provisional entitlement to enable you to take the test for the CE licence
• Take medical and theory tests
• Obtain your periodic CPC certification and take 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years to stay qualified

How often do I need to renew my licence?

Many licences are valid up to the age of 45. After this, they need to be renewed every 5 years up to the age of 65, and then every year after 65.

If your licence was issued after 19 January 2013, it will be valid for 5 years, up the age of 65.

How to monitor the qualifications of your drivers?

As an employer it is your duty to minimise risk when it comes to driving for work, to ensure the safety of your drivers and other road users. As an employer you can be criminally liable in the case of a serious road accident.

A key part of this as a fleet manager is knowing that your drivers are correctly qualified to carry out the role that they are employed in.

It is possible to check an individual’s driving licence information such as

• Vehicles they can drive
• Penalty points
• Disqualifications

You can do this via the DVLA but in order to do so, you must obtain the drivers permission. Or if you have a lot of licences to check there is a service called Access Driver Data (ADD) that you may want to consider.

Other areas you may want to consider are

– Checking how many hours training your drivers have completed in the last 5 years
– If your drivers need to complete a tachograph to comply with driving hour regulations

At Anthony Jones, we are specialists in arranging fleet insurance and helping you understand how to minimise risk within your business. If you have any question or would like to discuss your insurance requirements contact us on 020 8290 9099 or commercial.motor@anthonyjones.com.

Get a Quote

You can call us during normal office hours, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Outside of office hours you can either email us or leave an answerphone message and we promise to get back to you the next working day.

General enquiries:
020 8290 4560

Sign up for news

* indicates required