Completely free of charge

    13 Mar, 2019|

    Green cards to become a requirement in event of no deal Brexit

    If we should leave the EU under a no deal Brexit, there will be a number of new requirements for drivers who are taking their own vehicles abroad. At the time of writing we are currently set to leave the EU on the 29th March and as yet a deal is yet to be agreed.

    With a number of crucial votes happening in parliament this week (11th March) we may soon have a clearer idea of what is going to happen but for now we wanted to take a look at Green Cards.

    A Green Card will be a requirement for drivers who want to drive in the EU in the event of a no deal Brexit. The Green Card will act as proof that you have the correct insurance in place.

    This will affect all drivers including:

    • Taking your own vehicle to the EU e.g. on a family holiday
    • Those wanting to cross the Irish Border
    • Freight and haulage companies looking to transport goods to the EU after the 29th March

    In order to obtain a Green Card, you will need to get in touch with your insurer or insurance broker. The current advice is to do this around a month before you plan to travel. Once received you will need to take a physical copy of the Green Card with you when you travel so be sure to keep it in your vehicle.

    If you are an Anthony Jones customer and are planning to travel to the EU around or after the 29th March our advice is to get in touch with us as soon as possible and we will ensure that you have the correct documentation in place.

    You can also keep up to date with our thoughts on the implications of Brexit for our Fleet and Business customers here. We’ll be updating the page regularly as and when we have more information.