1. Home
  2. /
  3. Campervan insurance
  4. /
  5. How to Travel Europe...

How to Travel Europe in a Motorhome or Caravan

Mar 12, 2024

Following Brexit, travelling Europe in a motorhome or campervan isn’t as straightforward as it used to be. But it’s still possible!

In this guide we’ll cover everything you need to know, including documents you’ll need to bring, and the laws and restrictions you’ll have to consider.

At Anthony Jones, we specialise in bespoke insurance cover for campervans and motorhomes. If you have any questions about your insurance needs for your European trip, call us on 0208 290 9099, or email Commercial.Motor@AnthonyJones.com.

What Documents Will I Need to Take My Campervan to Europe?

  • Passport – The Schengen Border Code states that your passport must be less than 10 years old on your day of entry. What’s more, it must have at least three months of validity left on your planned day of departing the EU. You can check your passport’s validity online.
  • Travel Visa – You only need a visa to travel in the EU if your trip’s going to last longer than 90 days. Any longer than this, and you may need to apply for a visa for an extended stay. This online visa calculator should help you determine whether you’ll need a visa for your trip.
  • EES/ETIAS – The Entry and Exit System (EES) is planned to launch in Autumn 2024. It’s an electronic system for tracking all individuals who enter and leave the Schengen area of the EU. You don’t need to do anything in advance for this, but it might make border crossings take a bit longer. From May 2025, you may have to complete an online European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) check before you travel.
  • Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) – It’s not mandatory, but a GHIC will allow you to access state healthcare in the EU and Switzerland – but not in Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein. You can apply for your free GHIC.
  • Pet Travel Documentation – If you’re travelling with an animal, you’ll need an animal health certificate (AHC). To qualify for one of these, your pet must be microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. Talk to your vet about getting an AHC for your trip.

Preparing Your Campervan or Motorhome for Your Trip

Green Cards and Driving Licence Validity
Your UK driving licence will still be recognised in most EU countries. However, if you’re travelling beyond the EU, you may need a Green Card for your vehicle. Contact your insurer for more information.

UK Sticker
You’ll also need a UK sticker for the rear of your vehicle. Note that the old “UK” stickers are no longer valid!

Proof of Insurance and MOT
If you’re stopped by the police while driving in Europe, they may ask to see some additional documents. So bring some proof that you own the vehicle – such as the V5C certificate – and some proof of insurance and MOT.

Necessary Safety Equipment
Some EU countries set guidelines for the sort of road safety equipment you need to bring. Depending on where you’re headed, you might need to pack some warning triangles and a reflective jacket. If your vehicle weighs over 3,500kg, you may also need to attached a blind spot (“angles morts”) sticker to your vehicle.

Finally, check your vehicle’s handbook for details on adjusting your headlights for continental travel, or whether you’ll need some headlamp deflectors.

Food and Drink

There are some rules on the sort of food and drink you can take across borders. The rules usually apply to fresh foods, including meat, dairy products, fruit, and vegetables.

Read our full guide to taking food to and from the EU in your campervan or motorhome.

European Breakdown Cover

Finally, consider getting some specialist European breakdown cover for your campervan and motorhome. Read our full guide to what this can cover.

At Anthony Jones, we specialise in bespoke insurance cover for campervans and motorhomes, which can include European breakdown cover. If you’re struggling to find the cover you need for your campervan or motorhome, call us on 0208 290 9099, or email Commercial.Motor@AnthonyJones.com.

Get a Quote

You can call us during normal office hours, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Outside of office hours you can either email us or leave an answerphone message and we promise to get back to you the next working day.

General enquiries:
020 8290 4560

Sign up for news

* indicates required