1. Home
  2. /
  3. High net worth insurance
  4. /
  5. What is a Class...

What is a Class A, Class B and Class C Campervan or Motorhome?

Apr 4, 2023

In the UK, there are three categories of campervans and motorhomes – Class A, Class B, and Class C. In this post we’ll explain the difference between these three categories. If you’re considering getting a campervan or motorhome of your own, this guide might help you decide what type is best for you.

If you’re going to drive a campervan, you’ll need dedicated campervan insurance. Our friendly team is always on-hand to find you exactly the cover you need at a price you can afford. Call us on 0208 290 9086 or email us at personal@anthonyjones.com.

What is a Class A Campervan?

Class A campervans are the largest motorhomes on the road. They’re usually around 25 ft long, but some models can be up to 40 ft in length. However, you’re unlikely to see such large models on European roads. They’re more at home on US highways.

Think of a luxurious American recreational vehicle (RV) and you’re probably thinking of a Class A campervan. Because they have so much interior space, they’ll contain a lot more fixtures and amenities than other campervans. We’re talking self-contained bathrooms, fridge-freezers, separate entertainment and living spaces, wide-screen TVs, and bedrooms with double beds.


A Class A campervan is like a luxury hotel on wheels. The benefits are obvious: They give you a standard of living that you might not have thought possible in a campervan.


But there are downsides. As Class A campervans are so large, they can be hard to manoeuvre, particularly on Britain’s narrow country roads. Also, large vehicles invariably come with higher running costs – fuel alone will be a considerable expense.

And finally, Class A campervans might cost more to insure than other campervans. You may need specialist contents cover for all the luxury amenities, and in the event of an accident, repairs and replacements won’t come cheap. This might result in higher insurance premiums.

What is a Class B Campervan?

A Class B campervan is less like a luxurious hotel on wheels, and more like a van that happens to contain sleeping space. The iconic VW campervans are a classic example of Class B campervans, as are the increasingly popular campervan conversions.

In terms of amenities, Class B campervans keep things simple. There might be a small fridge and a small cooking stove, plus a seating/dining area that converts into a bed. Some modern models might feature showers or toilets, but even then, things are going to be a lot more compact than they are in a Class A campervan.


There are many benefits to choosing a Class B campervan. They’re small and manoeuvrable, so you’ll have no difficulties driving through the country or finding parking spaces. Plus, as they’re so compact and flexible, you can continue to drive them and explore the local area even after setting up camp. Whereas with a larger Class A campervan, you might need to bring a smaller vehicle along if you want to do any additional driving after reaching your destination.

Class B campervans also tend to be the most fuel efficient of motorhomes, and they can be cheaper to insure than other motor caravans.


Yet there are downsides. While some will find their interiors cosy, others will find them overly cramped and uncomfortable – especially in wet weather. Also, while those vintage VW campervans might look cool, running a classic vehicle can be a headache – particularly when its time for servicing and repairs.

What is a Class C Campervan?

Class C campervans are usually between 20 and 30 ft in length. Some models can sleep up to eight people, yet most can comfortably sleep four people, leaving a lot of room for storage.

Think of a Class C campervan as a more compact version of a Class A campervan. They’re the mid-size option – not as big as a Class A RV, but considerably larger than a Class C campervan. And in terms of space and amenities, they’re more spacious and luxurious than a Class C campervan, but not as spacious and luxurious as a Class A vehicle.


So a Class C campervan can offer the best of both worlds: A degree of the space and comfort you’d get with a Class A campervan, but with greater manoeuvrability, lower running costs and, potentially, lower insurance premiums.


Yet they’re not as flexible or fuel efficient as Class B campervans. Yes, they’ll be cheaper to run than gargantuan American-style RVs. But because they’re larger than compact Class Bs, you should expect higher toll and ferry costs, and potentially higher camping costs, due to the need for larger than standard campsites.

Other Things to Consider

Regardless of whether your campervan is Class A, Class B or Class C, the DVLA uses the same term to refer to all campervans and motorhomes: motor caravans.

But if you want to drive a larger Class A caravan, you may need a special licence. It all depends on your vehicle’s maximum authorised mass (MAM). If your campervan has a MAM between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, you’ll need a C1 licence. If it has a MAM over 7.5 tonnes, you’ll need a category C licence.

You’ll also need specialist campervan insurance. Many high street insurers offer you an off-the-shelf product that doesn’t quite meet your needs. It might set overly restrictive mileage limits, for example, or it might not cover you for general everyday driving.

So talk to us about your campervan insurance needs. We’ll work to find you cover that ticks all your boxes at a price you can afford. Call us on 0208 290 9086 or email us at personal@anthonyjones.com.


Get a Quote

You can call us during normal office hours, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Outside of office hours you can either email us or leave an answerphone message and we promise to get back to you the next working day.

General enquiries:
020 8290 4560

Sign up for news

* indicates required