If you’re a newly qualified HGV driver, or if you’re considering training to become one, this post will provide an essential introduction to HGV insurance.
We’ll talk about the different sorts of cover that are available, and the questions you should ask to help you determine what sort of cover if right for you.
At Anthony Jones, we specialise in securing the right cover for HGV drivers. We’ll take the time to understand your situation, so that we can get you the need at a price you can afford. So for a comprehensive introduction to the world of HGV insurance, talk to one of our friendly experts. Call us on 020 8290 9099 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Is HGV Insurance?
HGV insurance might also be known as haulage insurance, lorry insurance, or truck insurance. It differs from standard car or van insurance in a number of ways. First, most policies will specify the size of the vehicle they cover – usually it’s commercial vehicles over 3.5 tonnes.
Second, truck insurance policies cover you for business use as standard. So as well as covering other motorists, your vehicle, and you, they will also cover the goods you’re carrying.
What Questions You’ll Need to Answer for Truck Insurance
When you buy car or van insurance, the insurer will ask you lots of questions about your history as a driver, your annual mileage, and so on. Insurers will ask similar questions when it comes to HGV insurance, but they may also ask you about:
- Whether you drive one truck, or multiple trucks.
- The size of the vehicle, or vehicles, you’ll be driving.
- How often you’ll drive, and how far.
- Where you’ll do your trucking – just in the UK, or will you drive overseas too?
- What sort of cargo you’ll be transporting – some types may require specialist insurance.
What Does HGV Insurance Cover?
A good comprehensive HGV insurance policy might cover:
- Fire and theft.
- Accidental damage to your truck, or to other vehicles or property.
- Tools and equipment.
- Personal accident and illness.
- Goods in transit – loss or damage of your cargo while you move it from one place to another.
- Any expenses you might incur as part of your work – whether that’s costs incurred by the late delivery of goods, breakdown cover, and even accommodation expenses in the event of a breakdown.
Depending on the type of work you do as a HGV driver, you might also look for additional truck insurance cover:
- GAP cover – to ensure you’re not out of pocket following an accident in which your LGV or HGV is written off.
- Courtesy vehicles – particularly important for independent owner-operators, this will ensure you can still work even if your main truck needs repairs.
- Specialist goods in transit cover – you might need specific cargo cover if you work in building and construction, food and drink, or haulage industries, or if you regularly move oils, liquids, or hazardous substances.
Managing Your Risks as an HGV Driver
Like all forms of insurance, HGV insurance is all about risk. The price of your policy will depend on how much of a risk your insurer thinks you pose. For example, if you regularly transport high value goods, you might expect to pay a higher premium, as your insurer may decide that you’re more likely to be targeted by thieves.
But there are some things you can do to manage risk as an HGV driver:
- Driver training and education programmes, including post-accident activities and learning.
- Using dash-cams for added security and transparency.
- Effective risk assessment planning.
- Effective use of telematics to improve driver behaviour.
We can help you identify the steps you can take to reduce your risk profile, and work with you to present these initiatives to insurers. In this way, we can help you secure comprehensive cover at an affordable price.
Get Comprehensive HGV Insurance Today
At Anthony Jones, we work closely with a range of specialist HGV insurers. Talk to us and we’ll take the time to understand you, your driving history, and your situation. We’ll then work together to get you exactly the cover you need at the best possible price.
And if you ever have to make a claim, we’ve got your back. Talk to us and we’ll help you report any accidents or incidents as quickly and effectively as possible.
So if you have any questions about HGV insurance, talk to one of our friendly experts. Call us on 020 8290 9099 or email us at email@example.com.