1. Home
  2. /
  3. Transport & logistics
  4. /
  5. What is an HGV...

What is an HGV Class 2 Licence?

Jul 9, 2019

Drivers must be aware of which licence they need to hold in order to drive certain vehicles. Licence types define both the size and weight of both the vehicle and trailer that can be driven.

If you are unsure what your licence allows you to drive then the gov.uk website has an online system you can use to check.

We blogged last month about HGV Class 1 licences. So, this month we thought we’d look at what an HGV class 2 licence is and what the requirements are to obtain one.

What is an HGV Class 2 Licence?

An HGV Class 2 Licence is also referred to as a Category C licence. The gov.uk website states that a Category C licence is the licence required to enable you to drive a large vehicle over 3,500kg, with a trailer up to 750kg in weight.

The licence is sometimes thought to be the most commonly held licence amongst HGV drivers as it allows a wide range of vehicles to be driven.

How to get an HGV Class 2 Licence?

In order to obtain an HGV Class 2 licence, you must:

• Be over 18 years of age
• Already hold a category B licence
• Apply for a provisional entitlement to allow you to take the test for and obtain a category C licence
• Take medical and theory tests
• Obtain your periodic CPC certification and take 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years to stay qualified

What is the difference between an HGV Class 1 and Class 2 licence?

The key difference between the two types of licence is that an HGV Class 2 licence (Category C licence) limits the weight of trailer that you can use when driving a large vehicle over 3,500kg to up to 750kg. An HGV Class 1 licence doesn’t place any restrictions on the weight of trailer that can be transported – this can be over 750kg.

For more information on all of the licence types available visit the gov.uk website here.

How can Fleet managers ensure that their drivers have the correct licence in place?

There are many ways that fleet managers can check that their drivers have the correct licence in place to drive the vehicles they are required to as part of their job.

One way is to use a DVLA service which allows you, with the permission of the driver, to check licence information such as:

• Vehicles they can drive
• Penalty points
• Disqualifications

If you need to check multiple licences, then you may want to consider a service called Access Driver Data (ADD).

As well as the licence checks it may be beneficial for you to check areas such as the number of hours of training your drivers have completed in the last 5 years as well as if there is a need for your drivers to complete a tachograph in order to ensure they comply with regulations around driving hours.

Equally it’s important to have a culture of transparency and a strong focus on health and safety within your business. Don’t encourage your employees to carry out work they are not adequately qualified for. As an employee you can be criminally liable in the event of a serious road accident so it is something that your organisation must take seriously.

At Anthony Jones we are specialists in arranging Fleet Insurance and can help with identifying areas that can allow you to minimise risk. If you have any question or would like to discuss your insurance requirements contact us on 020 8290 9099 or commercial.motor@anthonyjones.com.

Get a Quote

You can call us during normal office hours, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Outside of office hours you can either email us or leave an answerphone message and we promise to get back to you the next working day.

General enquiries:
020 8290 4560

Sign up for news

* indicates required